Our curriculum is predominately organised on a single subject basis within which there may be some topic based work links, and cross-curricular links are sought and encouraged where appropriate.
The predominant mode of working is whole class teaching although individual and group work is used where appropriate.
- Groups may be of mixed or matched ability. Matched ability sets are used in mathematics in KS2.
There is specialist teaching throughout KS1 and KS2 in Spanish, Music, PE and in Swimming for Yrs. 3, 4, 5 & 6.
- Literacy and Mathematics is taught daily in sessions of 50 minutes to one hour
- 10% of teaching time is devoted to R.E.
- Science is taught for at least 2 hours weekly
- ICT is taught for at least 45 minutes weekly (to support other curricular areas wherever possible).
- History and Geography is taught weekly for at least 18 weeks annually.
- P.E. is taught in two sessions weekly (1 hour 40 minutes weekly).
- Music is taught weekly, as a class lesson (30 minutes) and as a Key Stage lesson (25 minutes).
- Spanish is taught weekly to all classes.
- Art and Design Technology will be taught to all classes on a Half termly basis.
In the nursery and reception classes the EYFS curriculum is followed as a foundation and also children’s interests are followed and developed. On a daily basis, the programme is reviewed so that the children are stretched. There is a balance of small group activities and one to one adult focus activities, following the principles of child initiated play and the free flow system.